How Much Sleep Do I Need?
Sleep guidelines from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute below have noted that sleep changes as we age, although there is no 'magic number' as individual sleep needs vary.
||Recommended Amount of Sleep
||16–18 hours a day
||11–12 hours a day
||At least 10 hours a day
||9–10 hours a day
|Adults (including the elderly)
||7–8 hours a day
Georgia's guidelines for leaving a child without adult supervision include:
- Children under 8 should never be left alone.
- Children between 9 and 12 can be left for brief periods of time, such as children who arrive home from school before their parents get home, and have a specific plan in place.
- Children 13 and older can be left as babysitters.
- However, it is not recommended that 13-year olds babysit infants, small children or children requiring special attention due to medical concerns.
- Children 15 and older can be left home alone overnight depending on the maturity level of the child.